Get A Google Voice Phone Number . . . Isn’t it time?
This morning I set out to slay a tech dragon, in this case to ‘figure out’ how to sign up for Google Voice and set it up in an optimal way for my needs.
Hooray! It was quite simple.
- Google Voice is free (and awesome).
- You may choose a new phone number in the area code of your choice.
- You can set up your ‘Google Voice’ telephone number to ‘auto’ forward to any (or all) of your phones.
- Also, Google Voice can ring up to six total phone numbers (land lines or cell phones) simultaneously.
Here’s How To Get Set Up:
- Go to the Google Voice homepage (here)
- Login with your email address & password (click “Sign In”). NOTE: If you do not have a Google account yet, then get one! Select “create an account” enter the required info to open your free Google account.
- Click on the “I want a new number” button to get setup with a Google Voice phone number.
- Enter your area code you want and then click “Search Numbers”. NOTE: You can search for numbers by zip code as well.
- Pick your new Google Voice telephone number from the list, then click “continue”.
Enter (and confirm) a four-digit PIN code (used to access your Google Voice account). Click the “I Agree” box for terms of service and click “Continue”.
- Enter the phone number (your home? cell? work?) that you want your Google Voice number to be forwarded to. Click “Continue”.
- Click on “call me now”. Google Voice will call you at your number. You’ll need to answer that phone and enter the two-digit security code that is displayed (This allows Google Voice to confirm that you owner the forwarded phone number). Click on “Done”.
- Congrats! You’re in business! You have a new Google Voice number and have successfully completed setting up your new Google Voice account.
Hope this all helps.